Sunday, March 27, 2011

Waiting for a sign

Right now I'm listening to The Scarecrow by Avantasia. And every time I listen to this album, I get flashbacks to the very first time I heard it. I get this thrill inside me, and not just because it's an excellent Power Metal album. I always flash back to my first impressions. Like, hearing the first song and thinking, "Oh, my God. Is that Roy Khan?" Then I hear the second song, and I'm like "Oh, my God. Is that Jorn Lande?" Then I hear the third song, and I'm like "Holy fucking shit. Is that Mike Kiske?" I mean, Christ. Helloween pretty much gave birth to Power Metal, and here is the original lead singer of the band, assisting in the birth of one of the genre's finest hours.  It's like if I published a book, and Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, and Robert A. Heinlein got in a fist fight over which one of them was my biggest influence. Which would be real impressive, as they're all dead, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, no long-winded essay here. Just, if you're looking for something new to listen to, give Avantasia a try. And if you like it, take a look at all the people that collaborated on it, and give their albums a listen. You may just find a whole new vista of music to appreciate.

-Long Days and Pleasant Nights

No comments:

Post a Comment