Saturday, June 16, 2012

More on Germany

I decided to go and look up a bit of info about the part of Germany my cousin and her family live in. Germany used to be several different countries, so I figure there's probably cultural and regional differences throughout.

They live in or around Frankfurt. According to Wikipedia, Frankfurt is in Hesse. That sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I followed the link to Hesse, and saw it's also known as Hessia. And I was like, "Ah, that's why it sounds familiar. The Hessian mercenaries during the Revolutionary War." So, that means all I know about the area so far is that George Washington slaughtered a bunch of them in their sleep after his famous midnight crossing of the Delaware River. Hopefully they're not still bitter about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment